Motor Vehicle Titles

New Vehicles or Transfer of Title

To make your visit to the Tax Collector’s Office as quick and easy as possible, please bring the following documents to register your title:

  1. FOR NEW VEHICLES ONLY: The ORIGINAL Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin or Manufacturer Statement of Origin. This form should have been provided to you at the time of sale. Contact the dealer if you did not receive this document. Make sure the certificate is signed by the dealer!
  2. Will the purchaser of the vehicle be present? If not, you must bring with you Power of Attorney Form or Authorization Form.
  3. A completed Application for Certificate of Title. Make sure you sign this application! Note: Florida law requires a transfer of ownership to be completed within 30 days of the vehicle being sold or there will be a $20.00 penalty when the transfer does occur.
  4. An Odometer Disclosure Statement
  5. A Bill of Sale. Bring with you the proof of sale. The State of Florida 6% sales tax is collected on the sale price, less the trade-in. Sales tax credit may be allowed for sales tax paid in another state. Other exemptions may apply for divorce proceedings, inheritance, adding a spouse, etc.
  6. Proof of Florida insurance and valid proof of identification. A Florida insurance card or policy must be presented at the Tax Collector’s Office, as well as a valid driver’s license or passport.
  7. Transfer of current Florida license plate. If you would like to transfer your current Florida license plate, you must bring in your current Florida registration for that license plate.
  8. Vehicle Identification Number Verification. All vehicles not previously titled in Florida will have their vehicle identification number (VIN) verified by one of our clerks checking the actual vehicle. So please bring the vehicle you are seeking to title. This will be checked against the Application for Certificate of Title.
  9. VEHICLES BROUGHT IN FROM OUT OF STATE: An out of state title or registration must be submitted as proof of ownership and if transfer of ownership is also involved, there must also be proper proof of sale indicating the new owner’s name and address. Make sure both the owner and purchaser sign the Application for Certificate of Title or give power of attorney
  10. Decide whether you want your title fully processed at our office or mailed to you. We offer a “Fast Title” service on title transfers and duplicate titles for an additional $10.00 fee. If all the documentation is correct, a Certificate of Title is given to you right there at the office. Otherwise, the Certificate of Title will be mailed to you.
  11. Pay the registration fee. Registration fees are set by the State of Florida and are determined by the vehicle weight, usage and license plate type. Common Fees:
    Initial Registration Fee: Section 320.072, Florida Statutes, requires a fee of $225 to be imposed upon the initial application for registration on certain motor vehicle registration transactions. Whether the vehicle is new or used doesn’t matter. Basically, the fee is due on any private-use automobile, any lightweight truck or any motor home unless the vehicle being registered is a replacement for a vehicle that has been disposed of in the same category of vehicle.
    Title Transfer Fee: The State of Florida sets a fee of $75.75 for title transfer within Florida, and $85.75 if the title is being transferred from outside of Florida. Lien Recording: The State of Florida charges a $2.00 fee to record a lien.
    Paper Titles: The State of Florida charges a $2.50 fee for each paper title it prints and mails.

Do you Need a Replacement or Duplicate Title?
A duplicate or replacement title may be obtained by completing an Application for Duplicate or Lost in Transit/Reassignment for a Motor Vehicle, Mobile Home, or Vessel Title Certificate (Form 82101). It must be signed then submitted to the Tax Collector, with a $75.75 fee. The application must be signed by the lien holder if an outstanding lien exists. The department will charge an additional $2.50 service fee for each paper title it prints and mails.

Miscellaneous Title Applications and Transfers
If you have a unique situation such as Death of Owner, Court Order, Change of Name, Repossessions, Rebuilt Vehicles or Bankruptcy, call our office at 850-983-1800 to make sure you have the correct paperwork with you when you visit our office.

Mobile Homes Mobile homes used for housing accommodations (other than recreational vehicles) are renewed in December each year. They are issued numbered decals which are sold according to the length of the mobile home. Non-resident service personnel stationed in Florida under military orders may receive secure a decal for $14.85, including service charge, upon presentation of orders and a notarized statement.

Mobile Home-Real Property (RP)
Decals All mobile homes or recreational vehicles permanently affixed to the owner’s land declared as real property are issued special RP (Real Property) decals. Owners must secure Form DR-402 from the Property Appraiser’s Office after showing proof of ownership and present it with $8.35 to the Tax Collector’s Office. Decals are permanent and transferable to a new owner when the mobile home and land are sold as a unit. The owner’s name must be IDENTICAL on the land and on the Mobile Home Title.